Notes for employer

  • Application
  • Employment Contract
  • Welfare and Offerings
  • Eligibility Criteria for Employment of an Foreign Domestic Helper
    • A potential employer is financially capable; In general, for every Helper to be employed, the employer must have a household income of no less than HK$15,000 per month or asset of comparable amount to support the employment of a Helper for the whole contractual period ;
    • A potential employer has entered into a Standard Employment Contract (ID407) as specified by the Director of Immigration with the prospective helper;
    • A potential employer will require the prospective helper to perform domestic duties only;
    • A potential employer will not allow or require the prospective helper to take up any employment with any other person during the contractual period as specified in the employment contract;
    • A potential employer will provide the helper with decent accommodation and suitable privacy;
    • A potential employer is a bona fide resident in Hong Kong and the bona fides of him/her and the prospective helper are not in doubt;
    • A potential employer has no adverse record in respect of employment of FDH.
  • Required Documents
    • Employer’s HKID card copy
    • Employer’s financial proof copy
      • An Assessment Demand Note issued by Inland Revenue Department for the current or last fiscal year (Page 1 & 2), showing an annual income HK$180,000 or above (please do NOT provide Tax Returns filed by you or your employer); or
      • The last 3 months bank auto pay wage records; or
      • Letter of Employment from a company with the evidence of payroll for at least 6 months and the monthly salary should be HK$15,000 or above. If being employed for over one year, an Assessment Demand Note must be provided; or
      • An evidence within the past 6 months showing a saving or fixed deposit of HK$350,000 or above; or
      • A letter from bank showing asset balances amounted to $350,000 or above in the last 6 months.(Note: If the finance proof for application includes spouse’s income, a copy of Marriage Certificate and spouse’s identity card must be provided)
  • Procedures
    • Select helper
    • Prepare documents
    • Procedures by Consulate and Immigration Department
    • Visa approval
    • Start employment
  • Contract Requirement
    • The employer will pay the Helper a salary that is no less than the minimum allowable wage as announced by the HKSAR Government, that is, HK$4,410 per month. If no food is provided to the Helper, the agreed amount of food allowance should not be less than HK$1,053 per month;
  • Termination of Contract
    • If Employer or Helper intends to terminate the contract, they should provide one month notice or one month wage in lieu of notice.
    • According to the labour ordinance, even the Helper requests for termination of contract or commits serious misconduct, the Employer is required to pay any outstanding wages, holiday compensations as well as the air-ticket fare and transportation allowance for the Helper going back to her home country.
    • Within 7 days of the termination date of contract, Employer is required to inform Immigration Department in the form of a written notice. Information of Termination of an Employment Contract (ID407E) can be faxed to Immigration Department directly.
  • Insurance
    • Employer will be responsible with Helper’s insurance, concerning safety and health.
  • Arrangements of Food and Accommodation
    • Helpers generally come from Philippines or Indonesia. They usually do not have clothes for winter and they lack daily necessities.
    • Employers should provide Helpers with free meals, or pay food allowance in lieu of free meals (not less than HK$1,037 per month).
    • Employers must provide free accommodation for Helpers. The accommodation address must be consistent with that as prescribed in Standard Employment Contract ID407.
    • The scope of duties and place of work for Helpers are limited to that as prescribed in Standard Employment Contract ID407, otherwise it is an offence.
  • Holiday Arrangement
    • Rest Days
      • Rest days are not compulsory on Sundays, but Employers should give Helpers at least 1 rest day per week.
    • Statutory Holidays
      • the first day of January
      • Lunar New Year's Day
      • the second day of Lunar New Year
      • the third day of Lunar New Year
      • Ching Ming Festival
      • Labour Day
      • Tuen Ng Festival
      • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day
      • the day following the Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival
      • Chung Yeung Festival
      • National Day
      • Chinese Winter Solstice Festival or Christmas Day (at the choice of the employer)
  • Annual Leave
    • After serving the Employer for 1 year, the Helper is entitled to at least 7 days' annual leave with pay.
    Years of Service Annual Leave Entitlement
    1 7
    2 7
    3 8
    4 9
    5 10
    6 11
    7 12
    8 13
    9 or above 14

  • Budget of Expenditure
    • Helper’s monthly salary
    • Agency fee (one-way ticket to HK is included)
    • Insurance for Helper
    • Return ticket
    • Travel allowance for returning to home country